Who are the true stars of the German soccer? In this piece for Focus Online, I checked the popularity of the German soccer players based on the number of fans of their official Facebook accounts and compare it with their market value.
These were the steps:
1) I went to the football portal Transfermarkt.de and found 200 most expensive German soccer players. I imported the top 20 into Datawrapper and made a chart, adding the mean and the modus values.
2) I scraped the number of fans from their official Facebook accounts and made a similar chart for the top 20 Facebook accounts with the largest number of fans.
3) I then looked for correlations: as a rule, the most popular players are the most expensive ones as well. The scatter plot showed some exceptions to this rule.
4) I also tried to show the correlation with the help of a slopegraph (I was largely inspired by Alberto Cairo). This graph helps you compare two rankings – the social one and the market value – directly. I color-coded the graph – red color means that a player ranks better on the market value scale than on the social scale and vice versa.
5) I also played around a little bit and calculated the market value of the player per fan. The lower the number, the more popular is the player.
6) Finally, I provided the source data by inserting a Datawrapper table which you can sort by the name of the player, his market value, the number of his Facebook fans, his football club and his market value per fan.